Friday 8 January 2010

White Britain

Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love the snow. I love the snow so much that when it comes, I dance around my living room hoping it will settle. Well, settle it did, all over the UK! I didn't know that at the time, and was just chuffed when they mentioned my town on every news channel. You see, Scotland is normally badly affected by snow, but here in the south it's rare we have any more than a light dusting. Alas, here we are surrounded by the white stuff.

They say that due to the low temperatures we are experiencing (last night it was -21c in Scotland), it could last another 3 weeks, which is causing chaos across the country. I'm normally pretty happy with a few days off work, but the trouble is, I can't enjoy it, because every time I venture out it seems my bum is magnetised to the ground, and all I want to do is skid around. That's fun, but not when you're five months pregnant, and hospitals are at full capacity.

But back to Wednesday - I woke up to a beautiful white covering of snow, 6 inches deep in our area. I spent about an hour trying to find warm clothes (that I could fit over my ever-expanding belly) and coaxing Hubby out of bed. It was time to find some breakfast. After breakfast we took a walk around the lake, where I took these photos:








This morning, two days later, I saw this on the news:


I heard our county was the worst affected area in the entire of the UK, but it's now apparent that snow has got everywhere. Through sheer guilt for not having worked in two days, I trudged to the train station this morning and made it into work, and it was a mammoth task. Taking 90 minutes and almost slipping about 10 times, I reached the office and breathed a sigh of relief. Just got to get home again this afternoon, and then I can relax for another day.

The big challenge comes on Sunday morning, when Hubby and I have to travel London-bound to catch our plane to Hubby's Homeland. Our flight leaves early on Sunday morning, when a second round of heavy snow has been predicted. I just hope the flight is still running, because I've heard it's a sunny 22c at our destination. If we can just get there...

Worried much? Haha, cross your crossables for me!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh girly! You've been in my thoughts. Seems like the whole world has been getting a snow storm.

It's crazy! But the UK has been on the US news. EEEK! Scary!

Lara said...

I'm surprised it's been on the news in the US. I've decided to stay in today, and brave the elements tomorrow for when we need to get our flight. I Hope the snow hasn't caused too much trouble for you!